Monday, July 23, 2012

Coconut Oil Recipes


Masque With Coconut Oil
 I AM OFTEN ASKED WHERE I GET COCONUT OIL. We use it all the time and so I order online from Tropical Traditions or from Vitacost. Links are at the right on this blog. When I run out, I buy it wherever I can. Dr. Newport also posted about "Fuel for Thought" and that link is also on this page. When I run out of my Tropical Traditions order I may try that. A missionary I know makes coconut fudge from coconut oil produced from a real coconut and adds coco and honey.

Strawberry Covered Chocolate and Coconut Oil
Combine coconut oil and chocolate chips (equal amounts) as I do when I make coconut fudge for my husband (recipe from Dr. Newport's book). Instead of freezing in ice cube trays, dip strawberries in the mixture and chill. Variation: sprinkle with flaked coconut.


Here is one recipe I got from Coconut Oil Recipes for Summer. Lick on their link for more ideas.

Gluten Free Almond Coconut Bars
2 cups whole raw almonds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup almond butter
2/3 cup virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses or honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 oz 70-85% dark chocolate

1. Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan on the stove on low heat.
2. Line a 9x9" baking pan with wax paper.
3. Pulse almonds in food processor until it resembles coarse sand (the goal is something a little coarser than almond meal).
4. Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate to the food processor and pulse until it forms a textured paste (the bits of almond and coconut shouldn't be too small). I also finish with a good stir by hand to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated evenly.
5. Pour into baking pan and smooth out to the corners. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour.
6. Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Drizzle over almond coconut base and spread with a spoon or rubber spatula until evenly coated. Place bars back in refrigerator for approximately 5 minutes, until chocolate is solid but still a little soft (for ease of cutting). Cut into bars and store in a plastic container in the fridge.  Recipe  by Sarah, Marietta, GA

3 comments:

  1. The recipes look great! I'll have to make the chocolate covered strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there,
    Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 6 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!

    We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
    MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

    If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)

    Kind regards
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete