Mr. Johnson, you have dementia.
No other instructions. Nada. So I, his wife and caregiver, had to come up with a plan. On retrospect, I wish he had been told these instructions.
- Mr. Johnson, live life for each day.
- Organize your finances.
- You don't need to work forever. Plan to retire.
- Your mind will play tricks on you and you need to trust your wife to be your helpmate and help you to decide each day. She will give you a schedule so you know what is happening.
- Stop using guns and equipment that might not be safe for you or others. Eventually you will not be safe to drive.
- You will eventually need help recognizing your surroundings because you do not feel at home. You want to "go home". But accept your wife and other caregivers judgments.
- This life is not all. You as a Christian have heaven to look forward to. Your wife and others will be there for you.
But we learned as we went along.
Happy Birthday in Heaven,
I will always remember you.