|Strategies booklet I made for student|
Today teachers will write up both parties in a fight. Both students will get suspended. Because of human nature people and kids get picked on. Bullying even happens in neighborhoods where adults spread gossip. I hate this! Talk to me face to face! I wonder what the neighborhood gossip is about the sheriff coming to our house last week. People do talk, you know.
I decided this week to do something about a victim in a middle school where I substitute often and often hear about his bullies. I wrote a strategy for him and he signed it, a friend of his signed it and I signed it. He said his parents will sign it. I gave him seven stragegies:
- Ignore the bully and hold your temper.
- If you can't do #1, talk to someone about the bully -- a teacher, school counselor or parent who may have ideas for dealing with the situation.
- Forgive them. They have weaknesses as my rap says: Bullies find excuses to mess with our weaknesses as if THEY have none. Think to yourself but don't say what's your problem, bully?
- Keep a journal on how you handle bullies.
- Pretend you are not a victim and act that way. Use your mind, not your emotions. Have interesting things to do yourself rather than concentrating on the bully.
- Report crimes to 1-800-873-TIPS. (This is on a poster at school pictured above.)
- Have parents file a police report from your journal documents.
|What I write on the white board|
They say there is an African proverb that it takes a village to raise a child and as a substitute teacher I am in that village. I hope my simple raps and bully booklet will help kids cope.
* Added: See announcement of YouTube raps in the tab above (MCAC The Rap Lady).