Friday, July 13, 2012

"When the Parent Becomes the Child"


From Pinterest Group Alzheimer's Board
Greg Asimkaupoulos is a pastor who writes thoughtful and funny poems. He gave me permission to post this poem here on this blog and another thoughtful one follows.

When the Parent Becomes the Child
by Greg Asimakoupoulos
July 13, 2012

When I was but a boy of three,
my mother took good care of me.
She cooked my food and washed my clothes
and dressed me for the day.
She helped me tie my laces tight
and tucked me in my bed at night.
She put my needs ahead of hers
and never once complained.
When I fell down or lost my way,
my mom was never far away.
She recognized my helpless state
and made me feel secure.
But now my mom's "the child" in need
who struggles daily to succeed
at little tasks that tax a mind
that frequently forgets.
She needs my help to get around
or look for things until they?re found.
And when her eyes betray her fear,
I hold her trembling hand.
At times her needs can drain me dry,
but when I start complaining why?
I think back to my childhood
and how she cared for me.

Originally published at http://www.partialobserver.com/ . Used by permission.

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful and loving poem!!!! I wish every mother and father had a caring son or daughter....
    Thanks for sharing
    Hugs and prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet.. and so true! I'm thankful my mother is not there yet but I pray that I will be there for her as she was for me when that time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true...I have seen this, and continue to see this, with my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete