Monday, May 18, 2015

Guest Post: Finding Wandering Jake

My friend Sally (not her real name) had quite an adventure with Jake (not his real name) last week. Here is her story.
Our dog needed her toenails trimmed at the dog groomer. That was a quick fix. 
Now on to the jewelers to take Jake's watch in. Jake had left it on the shower ledge and it had moisture on its face. The jeweler was the answer to avoid the watch stopping and rusting.
I parked directly in front of the jewelry store, rolled down the car windows and told Jake to stay in the car with our dog. I would be returning momentarily. 
However, when I returned to the car, there was no Jake and our dog was barking. Panic set in! Where did my husband go? I hadn't been gone but a moment.  
I carried the dog and the two of us set off to find him. Not in a Dollar Store. Not in a laundry. Was he searching for me or for a men's room?  
Finally the barber shop. Jake was contently sitting in a barber chair getting his hair cut. I pretended that this was planned and waited until he finished getting handsome. He did need the hair cut after all. I had the money to pay for it--he didn't. 
I next dropped him off at the Senior Center and shared this episode with the 2 pm Alzheimer's Association Support group. 
Lesson learned: Don't leave my husband in the car alone ever! Do not trust the care of our dog to Jake. And, I am going to start searching for a GPS system to track Jake. He no longer uses a cell phone, although he does have an Alzheimer's bracelet. 
 Sally, Carol's Friend

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story, Sally. Good reminder for those that have someone suffering from any type of dementia to keep an eye on them at all times when out and about and not to assume that they are capable of taking care of a pet or other responsibilities. Glad Jake was safe.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake and my husband were very close. It is interesting that Jake now calls other men by my husband's first name. He is losing his nouns, as often happens with dementia care receivers.

      Delete