Monday, November 16, 2009

Soul and Spirit in Another Land

My husband still has humor. I was disturbed that he and my pastor threw things at each other while he pastor was teaching an afternoon class yesterday. Then I became grateful that my husband can still show humor and interact with others. Furthermore my pastor took the lead in the chinanagans with my husband. I want to concentrate on what he can do--play pool with him, go on outings. Laugh.

Linda Fisher writes a blog noted here under links. Mrs. Fisher has been there as her husband Jim has passed away after his battle with Alzheimer's. She mentions a book by Bell and Toxel, The Best Friend's Approach Alzheimer's Care. Linda writes:

It is important to minister to the soul and spirit as well as the physical needs when a person faces the challenges of dementia. Bell and Troxel liken Alzheimer’s disease to a long trip in a foreign land where we can’t speak the language, know the customs, or understand how to use the phone. When caring for a person with dementia we must concentrate on what they can do rather than what they cannot do. Can they still enjoy a walk? A drive? A cup of coffee where they can watch birds gather at a feeder?

3 comments:

  1. That is a great way to approach it.
    It is marvellous that your sweetheart still has humour and can do those precious things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments on my post. Mom does not enjoy anything anymore. I often wish I had started my blog in her early stages but I was working full time and never had time or even thought about it. Than I went to part time. But still to pooped to do a post,work and care for mom. Well now I am a full time caregiver . It is very hard work and takes up alot of time but you still have some down time . If your not napping. So I started surfing the web. And found the land of blogging. It is a life saver. Thanks to all of you guys for giving me something to do in my down time besides housework . I hate housework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, you hate housework but love taking care of your mom. You are lovely. Blogging certainly is fun.
    Praying for you and your mom, Karen.

    ReplyDelete