Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Virginia Turns 99 Today

Sunday birthday cake with our church bunch
Some of her friends
We celebrated after church on Sunday at Grandmother's House Restaurant.

The seniors at church got
her a special cushion
for her wheel chair.

 






















She has a great sense of humor. The birthday card I got her says that all our friends are jealous of how we look at our ages; that card opens and you hear music--perfect for her good hearing. She laughs at this.  Together we get along.  I tell her I don't hear well (I have hearing aids) and she doesn't see well. We make one person. We have both buried two husbands and have learned a lot about each other. 




Virginia visited by
Choir Director Bess. 



She sang in the choir for 60 years and when I visit her, we choose a hymn she knows by heart for the weekly Praise and Prayer Meeting held at the residence where she lives.  She used to cook dinner at her home for the Praise and Prayer Meeting. That whole prayer meeting moved to Huntsville Health and Rehab Center when she had to move there! 







She is a proper lady. She regularly gets out with a driver for her car. She goes to a church Bible study and Sunday services. She gets her hair and nails done.  December of 2015 when I first moved to Huntsville, we went to the Living Christmas Tree at First Baptist. She stood for the Hallelujah Chorus pulling herself up with the bench in front of her. 

Through her I have learned to love old hymns and value taking time to pray for one another. We adopted each other.

Happy Birthday, Virginia!

I want to be like you when I am 99. 


How would the LORD get me to my church's prayer meeting? I broke my two feet and ended up there for three weeks (what my insurance covered).  Now I keep going. 




5 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to Virginia! She seems like such a classy lady full of life even at the age of 99! What a great pair you to make!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. Visiting her has so enriched my life. The Lord is SO good to provide me with her friendship. Even Ziggy loves visiting her.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Pictures and friendship. :) You've talked about her so much, and this is a great tribute to her and to your friendship--and to you as well. Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Pictures and friendship. :) You've talked about her so much, and this is a great tribute to her and to your friendship--and to you as well. Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. When it was the first Christmas of our friendship, I asked her what she wanted and she said "Love!" I bring her bananas, but the cell phone I bought for her to use she no longer uses and so I stopped paying for it.

      Delete