Thursday, May 8, 2014

Beginning of Stage Six


Even in laughter the 
heart may sorrow,
And the end of mirth 
may be grief.


Proverbs 14:13

I started noticing changes lately. Those outings we had in April, may be the last ones we have and that thought was in the back of my mind when we went to a show and to a party. Some of our usual routines are not working. I am showing signs of being stressed out by change (not sleeping as well) and hubby is definitely changing. It may not just be a UTI--my idea earlier in the week.  Rather hubby may be headed into stage 6 of dementia. Oh my goodness! I did not want this to happen. I am trying to have a normal week. 


Enroe from my church helped me on Tuesday, his day off and my day off from substituting. After I dropped off the GMC to have the air bag replaced for free because it was recalled, Enroe  drove me around all morning in his vehicle. We went to Social Security so I could order a replacement SS Card. We went to my husband's doctor's office to get a prescription for his suspected UTI, and we went to one bank. Then Enroe drove me to a Christian Women's Club lunch where I sat with my friend Sally. Ordinarily both of our husbands would be at the Senior Center, but my husband was in no shape to go. Jake has been at the Senior Center enough with my husband so Sally can leave him without a problem. Then Sally drove me to a bank and then to get my car. I went on to Lakeland Toyota to find out about a gap refund since I have refinanced the GMC. Ordinarily Kenny would drive me on such errands, but he is out of town. Tuesday I had to do it all and Tuesday night it was so hard to deal with hubby! 

With Kenny gone, I have been fixing hubby a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a croissant for lunch when I work. He loves it. My plan has been to not substitute on Tuesdays this May. I told myself it's just a UTI and he will get better. 


What do they say about the best laid plans!!!

Wednesday morning I woke up ready to give hubby his pills, get him dressed and wheel him in his wheel chair out by the TV. No way did this work as it usually does and I had to call the school to say I would be late. I just could not hurry hubby up. He had only had his second antibiotic pill for the UTI. To top off everything, the sheets and mattress pad were wet!  I decided to not substitute for a few days, maybe until Kenny is back in town. Yes, we need the money, but the LORD has always provided and He can do it again. 


What is happening? 
  1. I have to stop my busyness because we may be going into stage 6 of Alzheimer's which is described HERE. I cannot keep up my pace. 
  2. We are using a wheel chair and a walker. Last year hubby would have objected. Recently this is the way he is getting around and he is accepting it. The chiropractor can only do so much to restore his ability to walk now. He hobbles. This is stage six, folks. 
  3. Urinary incontinence is here. At first hubby did not like these briefs. I wanted to mail back the adult diapers to Rite-Aid and waited for directions for that mailing that never came. Now I can use them at night and will try them tonight. This is stage six, folks. 
  4. I AM BLIND! I can no longer be THAT blind to blame his behavior ALL on a UTI. 
Before I confirm stage six, which is highly suspect, I will see someone at the Alzheimer's Association tomorrow morning. We will see a neurologist in June, if not before so we can see if the Exelon Patch and Namenda will still need to be taken. What other meds does he need? I wonder.  

Sad update:  Kenny's mom, Margaret, has stage four cancer. She is in Orlando recovering from surgery that may not have gotten all the cancer. She will have chemo. Kenny told me she asked about me. She has been such a wonderful friend and fine Christian believer. I would choose her as a sister any day if I could. Her recovery is not guaranteed, but we have talked about our guaranteed future in heaven with our LORD. 


I am just not ready for all of this! 

Carol

14 comments:

  1. Georgene shared this wonderful devotional with me today--- great verse for you too I"m sure. :) Will have you in my prayers. :)
    http://restministries.com/2014/05/seen-or-unseen/?awt_l=ASa1s&awt_m=3a5n6tk2mBT9VDd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary. Great link. Glad you put it here.

      Delete
  2. Mom had many UTI's . They come with having to wear those lovely undies he is starting to wear. Good luck my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Did you have to train the doctor to give you a supply of antibiotics for when the UTIs struck your mom? Thanks so much for letting me interview you recently. You are strengthening me as Christ told Simon in Luke 22:32.
      Hugs,
      Carol

      Delete
  3. Oh Carol, I am so sorry. I'm sure it is devastating to think another stage has been reached, but I do agree that you can't keep up with your pace and you also need to think about yourself so you don't get yourself worn down too much. I hope when you see the neurologist they will have answers for you so you can start making perhaps some different plans going down the road.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foolishly booked that neurologist appointment when school is out. Hope I can get hubby in sooner. The only other time he has been to a neurologist was when Johnny Byrd Alzheimer's Institute diagnosed his mixed dementia several years ago. My counselor at the Alzheimer's Association today also may have suggestions for me.

      Delete
  4. I will keep you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for you, too, Laurie, as your husband is in stage seven probably. You, Karen, and Dolores have taught me so much. I think of you and others often.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Laurie, for writing on the FB Like page also.

      Delete
  5. Excellent input from the Alzheimer's Association in Lakeland this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Decline continues. Just fed hubby applesauce and water in bed. He didn't know enough to ask for a drink from lady who was with him yesterday. Continue to pray. This is hard. Posted his picture from this cell phone on blog's Like page. Picture shows dog Ziggy by his side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hospice that we were enrolled in calls it stage 7-C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think of you both often here and try to pray, especially when I'm playing you in Words!
    hugs so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just won the last Words With Friends game! Congratulations!

      Ruby, you are wonderful to think of us and pray for us. I pray for you and yours also.

      Delete