Saturday, August 7, 2010

Challenges in August

I heard at a support group that sundowners is a symptom of Alheimer's. Our loved one gets angry/agitated in the afternoons at sundown. My husband recently has shown what may be sundowners. He is angry. He tells me to fire the plumber and get a new one. He wants to go out and buy something we don't need. I countered him on both suggestions. Later he doesn't remember the incidents. To act as a good helpmate as a wife is to act in the best interest.

This month he goes to the urologist to see if he might have prostate cancer--glad we are checking this. My father had prostate cancer and caught early surgery cured it. Friday, August 13, he will have a biopsy.

A week later he is being evaluated by a neurologist at an Alzheimer's institute to see what kind of dementia he has. He may qualify for a research study then.

The other challenge this summer is that we have less income until I can substitute teach in the fall. When I have to stay home with my sweetheart all the time finances indeed will be even tighter. But I am not borrowing challenges down the road. August is enough.

Joni Eareckson Tada said: “I want to stay in the habit of 'glancing' at my problems and 'gazing' at my Lord.” Let me gaze daily on You, Lord.

4 comments:

  1. So many challenges. It is good that the group can fore warn or reassure you when these incidents occur. They are part of the condition.
    As I pray for you, I remember the matter of your income. I am trusting that the Lord will provide your every necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole... thank you for stopping by my blog and your comments. I'm so glad we found one another, unfortunately we have a lot in common, but sharing information, laughs and tears is so helpful as we travel this journey.

    I couldn't find an e-mail address for you.... so sorry I'm writing all on your Post a Comment area.... but I wanted you to know that I'll be reading all your post and back post as I go along....
    Hoping and praying you all have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all his test turn out good. And it will be good for you this fall to work. Not only for the money but to get out of the house. Moms had sundowners for awhile. I don't know if her meds are keeping it in check now or if she is past that. But they do have good meds to help with it out there so good luck. Here is the link you wanted or you can go to my blog and click on the title Shampoo cap and it will take you there if this link don't work. You might check other sites for cheaper stuff. But you can have a catalog from the Alz's store sent to your home and that is fun to look at.
    http://shop.alzstore.com/storefront

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for the appointment today, Carol.
    Love and hugs,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete