Friday, November 26, 2010

Saga Six

It is always time to be thankful, not just on Thanksgiving. I am thankful for all that my husband means to me and also can do now. I am thankful for the rich blessings of my faith which daily sustain me. I am thankful for what gets done and what doesn't get done. As FlyLady says, "you are not behind".

Time for company. Whenever we entertain or have something to do now, DH needs a reminder, even though this is on the large calendar. We have needed our rugs cleaned--a job which he has always done. He seemed to put this off day after day. When it came down to the wire, he said why didn't I nag him last week! Of course I had reminded him, but I dared not tell him that fact--he would deny that I had mentioned that carpet. He thinks we should just hire someone or buy a new carpet, but I told him we could not afford to. He has limited energy and I realize I need to pick up the slack on his part. So  I started the carpet cleaner asking him what to do and he said that it needed to be fixed. I bought it to the repair man who mainly just told me how to use it--it wasn't broken. We began to clean the carpet. DH did a little and I did a little. He said to wake him up at 5 am the next morning and he would finish the carpets. When 5 am came he wasn't ready to get up. I got up, however, empowered by my new knowledge of how to use the machine and completed the task as best as I could. The carpeting looks striped and so perhaps it was not on the correct setting, but fresh rugs contributed to a fresh smell in the house and I was content. We had a wonderful meal with all the fixings and we so enjoyed our six guests, guests who are hardly aware how impaired my husband is. 

Need for schedules. That Thursday night of Thanksgiving we went to a Trivia event and hubby wasn't a bit hungry. Finally at 11 PM, he asked if he had had dinner. "No", I said, and he did eat some of the appetizer we were sharing. The whole week has been off in terms of timing for my husband, and I realize I need to get DH on a good schedule. He still can be trained.

Side note one. We saw "Secretariat" with my brother and sister-in-law Tuesday night. We all loved the movie about a famous race horse. The father in the movie has dementia and I wondered what DH might have thought. We have watched the movie "The Notebook" together--where the wife has dementia and at the end of the movie finally connects with her husband. We have discussed that we will always remember each other. DH is getting a photo album made--he has wanted me to do this--like the Notebook.

Side note two. I have a hearing problem--my family lovingly told me. My sister-in-law was helping me with a timer she had bought me some time back. I couldn't hear the beeping, but others could. It was mentioned that in the car when I asked others to speak up, it was my hearing. I have to take care of my health and get an ear exam. I am impaired now also.

Life continues to have challengers, but every day, not just once a year, I need to thank God for His provisions and gifts. The LORD, is indeed my strength and daily sprinkles me with blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Praise God, who abundantly blesses his people above all we could ask or think!
    I am sorry to hear about your hearing. Get it checked and I hope it is not serious. God gives us strength sufficient for the day.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wearing hearing aides for several years now..... and I don't know what I'd do without them. I don't realize how bad my hearing is, until I put them in each morning, and wow.... I can hear so much better...

    We are living with this awful disease, but God is indeed.... so good. HE never leaves us and HE gives us new friends to love and support one another, and for that I am so grateful.

    I'm so glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

    Happy weekend!
    Hugs,
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete