Monday, July 12, 2010

Research on Dementia and Alzheimer's

My husband has been taking Vitamin B12 and I learned at my first caregiver's training session last week that this is beneficial; one of the 50 types of dementia is a B12 deficiency.  Also I read in the link below that for Vitamin D is beneficial and it is easy to add into the diet as a supplement.    
The researchers classified participants as being cognitively impaired if they scored in the worst 10 percent of older adults in the study. They found that the odds of cognitive impairment were about 42 percent higher in those people who were deficient in vitamin D, and 394 percent higher in people who were severely deficient.
Walnuts helped Alzheimer's mice. Tea consumption seems to help also according to the link below. We regularly have walnuts with our coconut oil oatmeal.  We are always drinking Lipton Diet Green Tea, rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants. We buy the 126 oz gallon type jug and use it to fill up the 16 oz plastic bottles--saves money.

Also of interest is diet and exercise in the Framingham Study.. 
One such long-term trial is the Framingham Study, a population-based study that has followed participants residing in the town of Framingham, Massachusetts since 1948 for cardiovascular risk factors, and is now also tracking cognitive performance. . . .The researchers found that participants who performed moderate to heavy levels of physical activity had about a 40 percent lower risk of developing any type of dementia.
This is news from Alzheimer's Association 2010 International Conference
 
Meanwhile it is the middle of the night as I write this and my husband comes out from the bedroom to this computer where I am writing this and I tell him that I am so proud of his memory score and glad he takes Vitamin B12. He has no idea about this blog really, but goes back to bed. Like the Proverbs 31 woman, he trusts me.
 
We tease each other about the laundry basket. He keeps claiming I bring the laundry basket back to the bedroom full of dirty clothes when he has brought it to the utility room. If he would think about it, his clothes do get cleaned and I don't bring the hamper with dirty clothes back to the bedroom without washing the clothes first. Dirty clothes just fill up that basket and he has time lapse memory!
 
I am researching cheaper ways to do his expensive medicine and also getting him into a research study in Tampa. Also, will have his vitamin D and B12 levels checked and see about what kind of dementia he has. I am wondering if it is not Vascular Dementia, one of the categories brought up at my caregiver's workshop last week.
 
The dryer bell just rang now. Off to take care of that laundry!

8/16 Control diabetes and depression. Research from France

No comments:

Post a Comment