Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dissertation on Caregiving

Since 2006 I have been taking seminary counseling classes at my church. They are held sporadically after worship service. One class I had the privilege of teaching--counseling children. Incidentally, there are so many ways that Alzheimer's loved ones are becoming like children and Montessori techniques are great for children and our loved ones.

In the last class we practiced counseling techniques before everyone and we had a very talented couple amazingly act out the problem. I made a mistake of teasing the husband about yogurt, and he reminded me that was "privileged information". I gave him a quick (maybe not sincere) apology. I think I will buy him some yogurt for more of  repentance! But he even brought a cup of yogurt to this practice session!

One of the lovely newlyweds at our church acting for me
For this biblical counseling degree I read lots of books and outlined or summarized them. I studied for essay tests.  During these seven years one project was my book, Getting Off the Niceness Treadmill. Hubby read all the early papers and gave helpful comments with the early papers and the book.

In 2008 it became evident that my husband had dementia, later diagnosed as Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's, My papers changed to reflect caregiving, but I didn't have him read them and also he became less interested in my academic pursuits. Papers included:
  • The authority of an Alzheimer's husband
  • Dealing with anger of an Alzheimer's loved one
  • Praying well
  • Dying well
  • The self-discipline of a caregiver
This has been a wonderful opportunity for this old gal (I am 68). Let me know what you think should be in my dissertation. I will include some of the above topics.

2 comments:

  1. I love your topics and would love to read about the anger stuff. Not that I'm angry (in general, only when someone steals my cookies), but I'm curious how people who sacrifice so much cope with the natural resentment of devoting so much of themself to a person who often does not appreciate it and/or recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne,
    Thanks for writing here. Eight chapters are shaping up and I will send you that chapter called "Understanding and Coping with Care Receiver's Anger". Or maybe you would like cookies instead.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete