Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Beginning Area #8 of The House That Cleans Itself

He who gathers in summer is a wise son;
He who sleeps in harvest is a son who causes shame.  Proverbs 10:5 

If it is the problem of paper clutter inside the house, it is the problem of weeds in the front of the house. Many years my husband and I would get control of the weeds, and then those weeds would take over again. Now he only mows the grass on occasion and the lawn mower is broken. I am concerned about the front yard and my abilities to conquer the weeds.

This would be taken over by weeds by summer.
Last summer I took up the scalloped bricks seen above. I started to think about what do do here. Grow grass seemed to be the solution.


Jake took out the black edging thing. (I do not have proper names for gardening products, folks.) Hubby threw it over the fence into a pasture for cows (I wrote about his deed here) and I have to retrieve it somehow and bag it so the trash people actually take it.


Now I am armed with weed control and new strategies. Fifteen minutes a day on weeds so they don't take over the front yard again another year. But not to be. Alas, I get a new small spray can for weed killer, but can't make this small one work or the other two I found in the garage.

Weed busters?
Pots. Make vignettes or yard art and pots of shrubs rather than even have flower beds I'm thinking.

Lowered shower bench helps gardening
In the process I break two pots, but dig up plants to use where I can. 


Repotted, but not sure it will last

Dug up and repotted












 

Forget flower beds--have pots I am thinking
The sad one above (third from left) is what I dug up to replant. A neighbor didn't know that is was a shrub because he was mowing all the weeds.

All of this seems hopeless to me, as hopeless as entering a writing contest about guns which actually came in my e-mail--got to be a joke. Yes--writing. No--guns. Yes--gardening. No--weeds.

But now the weeds will grow because I wasn't able to spray with any of these contraptions! Martha Stewart or someone! Where are you when I need you!

So much of gardening is above my pay grade and obviously I need help and will have to learn to ask for help. With carpal tunnel I cannot spend hours pulling weeks and my quick fix spraying isn't working yet. I am afraid the weeds will again take over our front yard!

Amateur wanta-be gardener signing off here,

Carol

2 comments:

  1. Love the pot gardening you are putting into plan. I can't do the weed pulling and hoeing and digging either. Pots look like the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latane, don't you think those weeds can grow around the pots? I am so amateur here. There has to be some advantage to age. People need to help us seniors somehow with clues or actual help, ya think?!

    ReplyDelete