Saturday, March 3, 2012

Adrenal Fatigue, Google and the Doctor


Ah, doctor. Google begs to differ!

We are hoping that future generations will not have to deal with Alzheimer's as more information comes to light. The Alzheimer's Reading Room and other sites hold promise for unlocking the mysteries of Alzhreimers.  You can google these discoveries. Tell your doctor about them. I told my husband's doctor about the coconut oil and so far he is not concerned about the extra fat in coconut oil.

When I went to my doctor this week, she was so pleased with my weight loss. P.B. was 122/80 for this 67 year old. Just exercise more, Carol. Today's exercise is gardening--which needs to be done. Hubby didn't want me to go to the gym when we were out this morning.

7 AM today I went to my weekly Weight Watchers meeting where I made a benchmark goal and got to walk the red carpet. I learned what a "Jolie" is as the leader encouraged me to do that on my red carpet walk. When I substituted this week, a student at a middle school where I sub often asked if I had lost weight and I said yes. The class clapped for me.
                                                                            
A few evenings ago,  DH, Sally and Jake and I attended a health workshop at their church. The presenter shared this quote.

75% of the disease prevalent in western society
today are . . . related to the stress mechanisms
of the body. The Standard, Vol., 3, No. 1
I asked questions at the end of the presentation. The doctor agreed that over-dependence on meds and preservatives in our foods can trigger a whole lot of other problems down the road. It is so easy for doctors to just prescribe pills. So I did some Google research on the topic of Adrenal Fatigue.  In turns out that you can have saliva tests to determine your cortisol/DHEA levels during the morning, afternoon, evening and at night.  It is possible to test your cortisol levels and then use a compounding pharmacy to have just the right mimimum prescription for your needs. This way you don't overmedicate.


Without adequate cortisol levels the sleep/rest and recovery cycle is not restored.  We sleep well and restore our CORTISOL levels in the first  hours of the night, and then need four more hours to restore the rest of our functions. Here are two of my Google finds:


Adrenal Fatique in Women
Another DHEA


"One of the main goals of every caregiver should be finding a way to have enough rest. Everything depends on it," writes Gary Leblanc in Staying Afloat in a Sea of Forgetfulness: Common Sense Caregiving, Expanded Edition (p. 110)


Here's to a good night sleep, you all!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your weight loss! I've been reading some on adrenal fatigue, as well. It's interesting and complex!

    ReplyDelete