Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Research on Dementia and Alzheimer's

I get this e-mail newsletter from Vitacost.com where I buy the MCT coconut oil. Here is what research found:
  • Smokers are 70% more likely to develop dementia than nonsmokers.
  • Those with high blood pressure are 60% more likely.
  • Those with diabetes are twice as likely. (Even moderate weigh loss helps prevent type 2 diabetes.)
I also read Dr. David Snowdon's classic Alzheimer's study Aging With Grace. In this book he studies nuns over many years and has access to their early records. He also emphasizes cardiovascula health and avoiding smoking. He finds that a positive attitude early in life was a characteristic of those who did not get dementia.

One of my favorite quotes from Snowdon's book is from Sister Laura. She says, "Do you know what my worst fear was? That I was going to forget Jesus. I finally realized that I may not remember Him, but He will remember me." (p. 120)

No comments:

Post a Comment