Monday, March 9, 2009

Springing Surprises / Not Remembering

Strawberry Festival. I asked my husband could we go and then I mentioned often about our tickets for this local event and that we were going to see a concert--Christian commedian/singer Mark Lowry at that festival. The day arrived and my husband came home from work at 2:30. He didn't remember about the festival, and wanted to stay home. When I mentioned I had already bought the tickets, he agreed to leave the safe haven of the couch and TV, and we went and had a delightful time. He didn't walk around the festival as much as in past years, but let me go off to see the booths and then check back in with him.

House Painting. Our house needs painting. My husband had always said he would paint the house, but he doesn't have the energy now and quite frankly it would be confusing to him and stressful for me to have him on any big project. But we do have a great painter/carpenter we have worked with before. Several days ago I chose new house paint colors and asked my husband about them. When we went to Home Depot, he hadn't remembered about the new colors--isn't the house going to be the same black and white? I needed again to sell him on these colors. We ordered several small items needed in the project. On the way home we drove by two houses with those colors. He liked them. Visualizing is so important. I will return to buy those colors within the week when the painter is ready.

(One day one of us may have to sell this home and it needs to be in good condition in this financial market so it can be sold. I have been a widow once, and always think of the future now.)

Memory. The other morning my husband mentioned that he didn't think he had a memory problem. I guess I am glad he is happy and doesn't think so. However, I am constantly thinking about his memory now, how I can run things by him, how he can have a say, and I won't spring things on him. So far he is trusting my judgment on most things. Lots of new thoughts for me now. How can I apply biblical respect for my husband in our situation? How can I maintain his trust?

From Proverbs 31. "The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life." Lord, help me to do him good all my days, help him trust me, and guide me in this new phase of our life together. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. March 13th we order the paint from Home Depot and then go to dinner nearby. When we go back after dinner to pick it up, my husband is very irritated about putting all that house paint in his Expedition, the car we drove for this purpose. Fortunately a call to the gentleman who is painting the house saved the evening. He will pick up the paint Monday morning.

    On our way home through the countryside I talk about all of the fine work that my husband has completed around the house. He just says he doesn't have the energy to do things any more.

    ReplyDelete