Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blessed


Psalm 17:6,7 I am praying to you because I know you will answer O God. Bend down and listen as I pray. Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways.  
Proverbs 3:33 The LORD curses the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the upright. The Living Translation 

Her.meneutics on Alzheimer's

The above link describes the care of this Christian home, called The Beatitudes, in Phoenix, Arizona. The patients are given their way on many things.
As a result of these and other caregiving strategies, patients at The Beatitudes demonstrate virtually none of the “agitated, delusional behavior common with Alzheimer’s.” The staff recognizes patients as individuals with bodies, minds, and spirits who need affirmation, emotional support, and relationships.
It does make a difference when Alzheimer's patients are treated with respect and Christian charity! The caregivers also learn to practice the fruit of the spirit found in Galatians 5 including PATIENCE.

The New York Times even highlighted this Arizona facility.

I am learning to spoil my husband on his preferences unless they are harmful to him or we can't afford something. Then I have to be so careful to explain. Usually we have peace in the home. So far.

Last night he said to me, "What would you like to do?" I was thrilled.

"Go to the Mall," I said. We did and had dinner at Ruby Tuesdays and I even spend a little bit of money on sale items--haven't done that in ages.

At the Mall he saw a gentleman he used to work with. He woke up this morning and mentioned him! Maybe that RNA tablet is working! He didn't have short-term memory!

Thank you, Lord!

4 comments:

  1. God's ways always work!
    Glad you got to do something nice and that your home and life is peaceful. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to read the first quote today. I am glad I came to your blog and found that waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree.... spoiling...going along with our loved one is so much easier on them and us.....

    Never would I disagree or argue with David.... Alzheimer patients are thrown under the bus by rushing, arguing,or put on the spot..I may not agree, but I go along for my sanity... and his. If that makes sense.

    I'm so glad you all had a nice dinner and shopping at the mall. Grab every moment!!!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every little crumb we get is such a blessing in this dark world of Alz. To think that your husband remembered the NEXT day that he saw someone. Wow.

    ReplyDelete