Friday, April 24, 2009

Repetition

Line from a "senior" e-mail:

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

That line doesn't seem funny to me as it once would have. I live with that each day. My husband regularly asks the same question. I just don't get upset when he asks again.

When his son calls, he is asked repeatedly, "So how is everyone?"

We always call each other when we get to a location safely--usually work. He calls me twice sometimes to tell me he is at work. I act like it is the first time he has called. I wonder if I should call him twice when I get somewhere.

The digital recorder device my husband carries around is so useful. He asked about the lawn mower battery, a note on his digital recorder and I told him it had been taken care of. (Over a week ago, but I didn't say that.)

When we talk about it, he doesn't think he has a memory problem. "But," I say, "your doctor told you that you have dementia." He is in denial and doesn't remember what he is denying or has a memory problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment